Assist the Content Manager in owning content and communities related to a given subject area, working with reporters to prepare content for the Courant’s digital and print platforms and with production managers to coordinate story placement and readiness for publication in print. Track the flow of daily and enterprise stories to assure readiness for timely publication, coordinating with photo, graphics and other departments to prepare all elements of story needed for publication online or in print. The online presence should be robust and comprehensive, including photo galleries, related items and other elements to help drive traffic. Stories must sparkle with vitality, be clear and concise and meet the highest standards of accuracy and fairness.
- Work closely with reporters/MMJs and other content managers to foster the creation of timely, accurate, informative and thought-provoking reports.
- Help create supplemental content and other interactive methods to drive online traffic and foster digital communities of interest.
- Coordinate and manage the presentation and display of all stories, information and photos related to their topic for publication online and in print. Work with the Content Manager to craft and execute a digital plan for all stories.
- Coordinate with photo and graphics departments, assuring photo, graphics and other elements are in place to make the presentation of stories robust and vital on all platforms.
- Track and coordinate the flow of enterprise and other long-term stories.
- Direct reporters to assign and/or shoot photos and video to accompany stories.
- Monitor web metrics and other measures to track audience interest in real time; make adjustments in coverage accordingly.
- Play a key leadership role in the advancement of the “Digital First” agenda among the Courant news staff, including organizing training, education and the development of best practices.
- Meet or exceed daily metrics for page views, photo views, video views, social media shares and other measures.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years reporting/writing for online or print publication.
- Strong news judgment required; management experience a plus.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter and other social media.
- Knowledge of content management systems.
- Excellent writing, reporting and editing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate with others.
- Ability to maintain organization and follow through.
- Ability to maintain accuracy in a fast paced environment while managing multiple priorities.
- Knowledgeable about web metrics, the latest research about online news, databases and website design.
- Knowledgeable about the role social media and mobile play in expanding a website’s reach.
- Comfortable with Omniture, using content management systems, HTML and photo/video editing.
Hartford Courant Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.