The Carroll County Times, an award-winning daily community newspaper in Westminster, Md., is seeking an experienced and energetic reporter to cover its county government and economic development beats.
Primary duties of this beat would entail covering weekly meetings of the Carroll County Board of Commissioners and Planning and Zoning commission, and reporting not just what happens at these meetings but writing stories using information gathered there and elsewhere to make it relevant for readers and explain how government happenings will affect them. A portion of this reporter’s time will also be used to track economic development occuring in Carroll County.
As a member of the newsroom team, this reporter will be responsible for:
• contributing as an active member of the reporting team, ensuring readers of complete, accurate and fair coverage;
• meeting deadlines with copy that is clean of spelling and grammatical errors, placing the highest emphasis on accuracy and reporting and alerting readers through social media;
• unearthing, investigating and executing original story ideas in consultation with the news editor;
• working a 5-day, 40-hour week, which will include night shifts and occasional weekend work;
• contributing daily to our websites. This includes news updates for the web, shooting and producing online video;
• assisting other reporters on issues that relate directly to their beats;
• contributing daily to the our social media presence via Facebook, Twitter, etc;
• other stories and duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess excellent reporting and writing skills, be skilled at online and social media reporting, and have 1 to 3 years of reporting experience. Previous work experience covering state, county or municipal government is a plus, but not required.
Candidates should thrive in team-based environment and be willing to step in and assist other beat reporters when necessary, and have a willingness to work outside his or her beat to contribute to our newspaper's mission of being the best local news source in the communities we serve.
Interested applicants should provide resume, 3 to 5 writing samples and links to online work.
The Carroll County Times is part of The Baltimore Sun Media Group and is owned by tronc, one of the most respected media companies in the world.
tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, tronc operates newsrooms in nine markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Newport News, Virginia’s Daily Press, Allentown, Pennsylvania's The Morning Call, Hartford Courant, and The San Diego Union-Tribune. Our legacy of brands has earned a combined 94 Pulitzer Prizes and is committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities.
Our brands create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.